Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Linked Article: In My Own Write: Yekke par excellence By JUDY MONTAGU

"I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I ever saw my father attired in anything but a suit and tie. Visiting me in Israel one summer, he went out on the first day wearing some fine leather sandals bought specially for the trip – and later returned having agreed to sell them to a man who had admired them in a Tel Aviv cafe. Though he laughed at this “deal,” his relief at redonning his formal black lace-ups was evident.

"Dress was only part of it, of course. Decorum and politeness were paramount to him. He was orderly and punctilious, and never as much as a minute late for an appointment.

"He shared, in short, many of the traits exhibited by the “yekkes” – which might help explain why I have always felt a great warmth and respect for these Jews of German origin who arrived in Israel in 1929-39. Educated, cultured and courteous, they have left their mark in many spheres of Israeli life."

cont.

No comments:

Post a Comment